Certificate in Spiritual Formation
Applications for first January 2015 cohort accepted through November 30, 2014
We are pleased to announce that with our collaboration, Moody Bible Institute’s Distance Learning Program is launching a new Certificate in Spiritual Formation. The cohort-style program is comprised of 4 modules occurring over a 1-year period and has been designed specifically to assist individuals in deepening their relationship with Christ and to be equipped to help others do the same.
We whole-heartedly believe that the greatest commandment is to love God with all our heart, soul and mind (Matthew 22:37). This call to radical following involves the transformation of our entire being, by God’s Spirit, into the likeness of Christ. We live in times where it is becoming increasingly more difficult to live the supernatural reality of the kingdom of God here and now leaving many with an intensifying hunger for a more intimate connection with Christ Himself. In light of that, this program is designed entirely around promoting growth in the believer’s inner life of faith and prayer with God.
Through the Spiritual Formation Certificate, we are excited to share that participants will first and foremost attend to their own personal growth, seeking to remove the barriers that keep them from growing spiritually. Each participant will learn spiritual practices experientially and in the process develop their own personal rule of life. All we ask is that participants commit to pursue passionately and receive joyfully God’s gracious invitation to be more fully transformed into the image of Christ. We believe that a natural byproduct of this will be greater service for the kingdom as participants also learn to identify and guide others into deeper conformity with Christ.
Students who complete the program will earn their certificate through four modules over the course of just one year. The cohort will be led by Nancy Kane with input from other experts in the field. The first cohort will be launched this January 2015. During each module, participants will attend a 2 1/2 day retreat with other members of the program to discuss course content and receive personalized spiritual direction from Nancy. Assigned reading, direction and coursework will guide each student through the certificate to personal growth. An ideal size for each spiritual formation cohort is 10 to 15 people.
• Participants will begin to understand through experience and teaching that growth and intimacy with Christ is based upon an encounter with God that touches every aspect of the human experience and the very core of their beings.
• Participants will be provided avenues in which they can honestly assess themselves in light of God and His truth.
• Participants will grow in courage to face into sinful patterns and blocks that prevent them from intimacy with Jesus Christ.
• Participants will interact with and come to appreciate the biblically informed sources that have been influential throughout the history of the church.
• Participants will develop skills in selecting disciplines, practices, rules, circumstances and relationships through which they can be matured into Christlikeness.
• Participants will cultivate deeper intimacy with Christ in prayer by exploring how best to strengthen their own personal communication with God.
• Participants will be learning how to integrate spiritual formation as a vital part of their everyday life and ministry.
We could not be more delighted to invite you to consider the possibility of joining a cohort with Nancy this upcoming January to pursue the next formative step in your spiritual transformation through this blessed opportunity.
For more information go to http://www.moody.edu/spiritualformation/ or contact Moody Distance Learning at 800-758-6352.